October 9, 2014

Alone vs. Lonely




This past week my CreComm class was assigned to teach our classmates how to use properly some of the words that are commonly mistaken. I was assigned with "I and me". But today I want to share with you two other words I personally was misusing.

Alone and Lonely.

Below you can check the dictionary definition of both.

Alone [uh-lohn]: Adjective and adverb: Separate, apart, or isolated from others. To the exclusion of all others. Unique; unequaled; unexcelled.

Lonely [lohn-lee]: Adjective: affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome. Destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.

But do you wanna know what these two words mean to me?

Last Wednesday my mom went back to Brazil. After spending 45 days with her here in Winnipeg, finding myself alone in my apartment was kind of scary. 

This is not the first time I had to stay away from my family and friends, but this is the first time I am alone. By myself.

After dropping her off at the airport I went to work. I got home at 10:30 p.m. and the silence was the worst noise I had ever heard, but the attempt of avoiding the thought of it was impossible.

Living alone has thought me lots of things. I don't like being alone but I can surely say it's good for yourself.
First, I'm getting to know myself better. What are my needs, what are my boundaries, what I really like to do. 

Second, when you're alone it's very easy to postpone things. You don't have anyone else to base your schedule on. It's your responsibility to take care of your own plans and manage your time, which you realize you have lots when you're alone.


But please, don't get me wrong. Although I'm alone, I'm not lonely.

My family calls me everyday to check on me and my Brazilian neighbours and friends are great! We always share things and experiences with each other, and we make sure we are all doing fine! I was so blessed for meeting these people. This is the best way for not missing Brazil and seeing that what I am going through is normal, because honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm about to freak out. 

I'm not under pressure, but I don't want to do anything wrong. I want to get the best out of me and make this experience a successful one. It demands a lot of discipline and patience. It's good to have people around you that understand what you're going through. If I didn't have them with me, that would be my definition of lonely.

Also, I was blessed to be in Section 2. Really, our class is very friendly! I don't know if it's because we are in CreComm, but we talk a lot! hahaha We are very supportive to each other! #S24L


But the good news is that on tuesday I'll have a little visit from my dad! He'll spend ten days here in Winnipeg with me! :D I'm super excited for him to come! Can't wait!

Do you have any words that may be commonly misused but their meaning is important to you? Share it with me on the comments! :)


2 comments:

  1. Ligia, if you're ever feeling lonely, come for a visit to North Kildonan! You're welcome anytime. #S24L #crecommlove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Katrina! I'm glad I have all of you people from section 2! actually, I forgot to add that on my post! I'm definitely putting the #S24L, the best hashtag ever! haha

      Delete