October 31, 2014

Oh I Hate Politics...

I swear this will be the first and last time I will bring this subject to this blog. I was trying hard to keep things happy and positive but today I just can't.

I know this will be a bit hard to read, but please, just bear with me!

Last weekend was very, VERY intense for us, Brazilians.
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 was the second round of elections in Brazil.

I was never so involved with politics as I was this year. First because it was elections here in Winnipeg too and most of what we talked about in Journalism was about the elections and how to cover it. NOT BEING BIASED.

This election literally divided the country. 50% os the people wanted some change, 50% thought Dilma's government was doing great and we didn't need to change anything.

Even though I don't live there anymore, it doesn't mean I don't care. I care (and this was the first year I really cared about the elections).

Everything I learned in the last couple of months in my Journalism classes made me think more critically about what the media tells us and made me take people's opinions with other perspectives.

Not only the results made me feel really sad about my country, but what people were doing and saying before and after and I realized that some shouldn't be allowed to talk about politics at all.

It was a very stressful weekend for all of us, but I have never seen so much hate, intolerance and hypocrisy as I saw this past month.
I admit that in the beginning I was intolerant too. I was angry to see that people refused to open their eyes and to think outside the box. Some people think is just easier to believe everything media outlets tell us. If there is one thing I am ashamed of journalism in Brazil is that most of them are COMPLETELY biased. COMPLETELY.

But back with the hate and intolerance subject. 
I just wanted to bring that up to justify why I hate politics so much. It brings the worst in people. 
It came to a point when ALL my Facebook feed was about the elections and how much people who voted for Aécio hated the people who voted for Dilma, and vice-versa. It was too much intolerance and hate. People were preaching about tolerance and NOT BEING TOLERANT.
Some even compared Jesus Christ, a sacred person, with Dilma's government. That was just too much for me to bear.

Seeing all that hate, intolerance and hypocrisy made me realize WHY we have so many problems. It's Government's fault but is also our nation's fault.

I just hope one day things will get better. People will open their eyes and become less self-centred. They say they care about others, but what they really care about is themselves.

This is why I rather read about arts, fashion, photography, food, traveling, etc. They make me happy and when I am feeling hopeless, they really help a lot to ease my mind.

This is my outpour for today.

See ya next week!
Ligia Braidotti

No comments:

Post a Comment