November 14, 2014

so, politics...

No, this time I'm not here to outpour about politics.

On Wednesday night I went to see a play with my Journalism class at the Theatre Projects Manitoba.
The play was Proud by Michael Healey.

I told you my feelings about politics on this post.
I think that because of my background, I was never interested about politics. Politics make me nervous about what's morally correct or not. People have very distinct ways to decide what's right or wrong.

I don't understand Canadian politics very well yet. For journalism's sake I am getting there! Almost becoming an expert in politics! haha

This play was a comedy about Canadian politics. It was very interesting to see how the actors played the character so well. For a person like me that doesn't have a clue about politics it was very easy to imagine it being they way they played. I liked that they showed us a little bit of what happens on the background. Everything we see on TV is not coincidence. It's manipulated, and sometimes we don't realize that. At least some people don't.

I also liked that they showed us a humane side of government. I liked the character Jisbella Lyth. She was very funny and that engaged the audience. Daria Puttaert played the character very well.
I also liked the side part where Jisbella's son talks about the changes he wants to see in the government. In Brazil we have the same people governing the country for 12 years now and, except for some people, we feel like 12 years is way too much time for them to be ruling the country. It comes to a point where NOTHING changes. Even though they promise us they will change, they don't. And I don't believe that is democracy. Having the same type of government doesn't help the country because things change everyday, and what one government thought it worked 12 years ago, does't work anymore.

I have never seen a comedy about politics ever. I have watched other shows but none like this. I didn't really know what to expect. At first I thought it was going to be boring. Everyone was laughing but me. Not because I didn't find it funny, but because their lines were inside jokes that I didn't understand. It wasn't until after 30 minutes that I started to understand them.

After watching this play I realized that I need to deepen my knowledge on Canadian politics, so the next time I watch a play like this one I will understand it and enjoy more.

The talk back helped me understand more about the play. I likes when Ross McMillan says he's been watching Prime Minister Harper and his manners and you can see that that is just a mask. He is not like what he appears to be on TV. Sometime we get what TV shows us as the truth, but it's not.

See you next week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment