December 5, 2014

misce... what?

Miscellane!

Why? You are jus about to find out!

When I entered my teen years, I found myself in a very competitive environment. Everybody wanted to be the best at something. At school, all my classmates were checking on each other's grades to see who did better at a test. At church, some people watched you, waiting for your first fault. It was too much jealousy, and honestly, if there is one thing my parents taught me was to always keep yourself far away from it.

I've always been very shy. It's gotten better after I went back to Brazil from my exchange program in Virginia, but still, I'm pretty shy. I think that one of the main reason's why I never really stood out was my shyness. If there's anyone who other's attention more than me, he/she gets it. I hate competing for attention or recognition, and I don't believe these are things that you should force people to do.

Now that I'm on my twenties and figuring out what my profession will be, I started to question myself about what do I really like to do? What am I really good at? What is my strength? And the answer is: I don't know.

I like A LOT of things. I like reading, cooking, drawing, painting, photography, traveling... And I'm actually pretty good on what I do. If I cook, people compliment me for that, if I take picture, people compliment me for that, or if I make a piece of art, people like it!

So is it bad to do lots of things good instead of focusing in just one thing?

I love learning and changing.

It makes me happy and accomplished to learn something new, even if it takes a long time. When I started taking interior design, I loved learning how to use those drawing tools, how to match furniture, art and design history and how to apply it nowadays. Now that I'm taking Creative Communications I'm loving to learn how to write properly, how to read critically, how to think critically, how to design, shoot videos, etc.

But I can't really say I'm the best at something.

I get sick of things easily, is that a bad thing? It's not like I'm going to throw everything up in the air and change, it's more about improvement, or my favourite word: refinement. That's why, one day, when my hair stylist told me to dye my hair purple, I did. Why not? Hair grows, and if I didn't like it, I'd just dye it blonde again (and spend a lot of money... hahaha).

This week's ad's assignment was to create our own brand. When I started blogging, I brainstormed to find the best name for it. I didn't want my name because, truth be told, it's a hard name to spell and pronounce. There wasn't a word I could relate to, because I didn't know what my blog would be about. Would it be about fashion? Yes, but not only that. I wanted to talk about the things I like, and I like a lot of things! Miscellaneous would be the best word. And Miscellane is a derived form of that word.

So long story short, I did this presentation for my assignment trying to explain myself, and my brand!

Hope you enjoy it and I would love to have some feedback from you! :)




p.s.: I promise that next semester this blog will have a focus, and will talk less about me! hahaha


4 comments:

  1. Ligia,
    I've been having a rough week and this post was so inspiring. I feel the exact same way you do. I can't say I'm the best at something, but I know what I like and that's what I have to remind myself of. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete